Single/Concessionary & Other Tickets
Our fares range between £1.15 and £3.20, depending on your length of journey. To find out more detailed fare information for specific journeys contact Traveline on 0871 200 22 33*. If you are making more than one journey, you may wish to consider one of our Dayrider or Megarider tickets.
* BT callers charged 10p per min plus 6p set-up fee per call. Mobile and other providers' charges vary.
If you are over 60, registered disabled or under a certain age and/or in education, you may qualify for concessionary travel and be entitled to obtain a card which provides free or reduced cost travel.
On Tuesday 1 April 2008, the National Concessionary Travel Scheme was introduced, improving travel opportunities for concessionary passengers. The scheme rules for residents of Tyne and Wear are as follows:
* Residents who receive the state pension, or have certain disabilities, and are members of the Concessionary Travel scheme are entitled to FREE bus travel within Tyne and Wear after 09.30am Monday to Friday, and all day at weekends and Bank Holidays.
* In addition to local travel within Tyne and Wear, members of the Concessionary Travel scheme are also able to travel FREE on “local” bus services throughout the rest of England too! Outside of Tyne and Wear this concession statutorily applies from 09.30am until 11.00pm Monday to Friday, and all day weekends and bank holidays. Some local authorities may offer extended times - for more details, please contact the appropriate local authority directly.
* Some local bus services also travel quite long distances too - such as to Berwick (on Arriva Services X15/X18), Carlisle (on Stagecoach North West/ Arriva Service 685) or to Middlesbrough (on Go North East Services X9 and X10). These routes are classed as “local” bus services due to the number of stops they make on the way.
* Free Concessionary Travel is not available on coach services (such as megabus.com and most journeys operated by National Express). Free Concessionary Travel is also not available on most tourist buses (such as NewcastleGateshead’s City Sightseeing tourist bus), or on the Tyne and Wear Metro, Shields Ferry or the former British Rail trains.
* If you have an early morning hospital appointment, and you are from Tyne and Wear, Durham or Northumberland, you can travel FREE within these three areas before 09.30am. Just show your hospital appointment card or letter with your new National Concessionary Travel pass, when you board the bus or when requested.
* If you hold a Nexus Disabled Concessionary Travel pass, and it is ALL DAY, then you can travel FREE at all times within Tyne and Wear. Outside of Tyne and Wear, this free concession is available from 09.30am until 11.00pm Monday to Friday, and all day at weekends and Bank Holidays.
* In order to obtain your free concessionary travel simply place your concessionary card onto the top of the ticket machine, photo face up and keep it there until your ticket prints. Then remove your card, take your ticket, find a seat and enjoy your journey, keeping hold of your ticket (Please don't slide your card on the ticket machine, as it might not be read correctly).
If you don’t already have a Concessionary Travel Pass, you’ll need to obtain one from Nexus. Please ring them on 0191 203 3434 for more details.
Children aged under 16 years of age, and who reside within Tyne and Wear are entitled to travel at reduced fares on all public transport within Tyne and Wear on production of a valid Under 16 Card. Here's the child fare travel options in brief:
* The Child Concessionary fare is 60p single. This 60p Child Concessionary single flat fare is available all day and every day (including at weekends), upon the production of a valid Nexus Under 16 Card.
* Alternatively, a "CAT £1.10 U16 Day Ticket" can also be purchased from your bus driver. This ticket is valid on all public transport (buses, Metro, rail and ferry) within Tyne and Wear, regardless of operator. There are no time restrictions with this ticket. Please note that a Nexus Under 16 Card must be shown in order to obtain this concession, and also every time it is used – if a valid Under 16 Card cannot be shown, then the £1.10 U16 Day Ticket cannot be purchased or used.
* All children must show a valid “Under 16 Card” for the journey in question. If they cannot show this card then a 85p single or 95p Transfare ticket will be charged, otherwise the child may be liable to pay the full adult fare. Please click here to download a Nexus Under 16 Card application form
* And don't forget: Stagecoach’s range of VIP tickets are also available too - The VIP tickets are perfect if you're staying on at school, going to sixth form, or just want to buy a ticket which will last all week. Please click here for more details on VIP tickets
For a great day out anywhere in the North East, buy an Explorer Ticket from your driver. You can use your Explorer on buses operated by Stagecoach North East, Go-North East and Arriva, and also on the Metro and Shields Ferry as well. There are loads of places to go to including the coast (from Berwick to Whitby), Durham and the MetroCentre.
Explorer prices (from 31 March 2013): £9.30 adult, £8.30 senior citizen or children under 14, and £18.60 for a family (2 adults and up to 3 kids).
Click here for more information on Explorer
PLUSBUS is a discount price bus pass that you buy with your train ticket. It gives you unlimited bus travel around town, at the start, the finish, or both ends of your train journey.
For more information visit www.plusbus.info