Fancy a career in engineering? Don't know where to start? Stagecoach offer apprenticeships in Body repair and Mechelec (Mechanical and Electrical engineering combined) which start in August every year in a number of our UK locations.
But what's it really like to do an apprenticeship with Stagecoach? To celebrate National Apprenticeship Week, we asked some of our apprentices to share their stories...
1. What was your career background prior to your apprenticeship?
When leaving school in 2006, I started an apprenticeship as a carpenter / joiner. I spent just under three years in this role completing NVQs. Unfortunately I was not offered a full time position.
I struggled to find a position as a carpenter / joiner so turned my attention to finding another job. In 2010 I applied for a shunters position at Stagecoach. I was offered the position and completed just under two years in this role. Within this role I completed 5 weeks at the London Olympic Games.
Whilst working as a shunter I felt that I could offer the Company more and applied for an apprenticeship. I was successful and was offered an apprenticeship as a coachbuilder.
2. What made you want to join the apprenticeship scheme?
The main reason for me joining the programme was to progress myself. I felt I could offer more as I already had a trade background.
3. What is the highlight of your apprenticeship?
My biggest highlight was winning three awards at the Etihad Stadium. I also enjoyed receiving my certificates at Lancaster House as this was a massive achievement for me personally.
4. How do you see your career progressing?
I would like to progress into a full time coachbuilder position. I am also interested in furthering my career once gaining more experience.
5. Would you recommend this apprenticeship to other people, if so why?
I would recommend this apprenticeship to anyone interested in an engineering career. The main reason for this are:
- It’s a well run apprenticeship program
- There is the option of a fourth year additional course help to develop your skills and gain more skills
- You can earn money whilst learning
Learn more about Apprenticeship opportunities