In line with the latest government guidance, we've put in place further measures in England to help customers practice social distancing. This includes limiting the available seats on buses.
Face coverings are compulsory when using public transport in England and Scotland. In Wales we advise you to wear a face covering if you can.
The safety of our customers and employees is our priority, so please avoid busy times, use contactless payment and take your litter with you. For up to date information see our Coronavirus page
29 Jun 2016
29 June 2016
STAGECOACH IN SOUTH WALES PROMOTES VALUE FOR MONEY DURING ‘CATCH THE BUS WEEK’
• Stagecoach in South Wales activities part of national Greener Journeys bus industry initiative
• ‘Catch the Bus Week’ to run from 4-10 July
• Stagecoach rated by passengers as best value bus operator in Britain
Stagecoach in South Wales is joining forces with sustainable transport group Greener Journeys to promote the benefits of bus use through the fourth annual ‘Catch the Bus Week’.
The campaign, which takes place from 4-10 July, aims to drive awareness of the benefits of taking the bus and encourage local people to make the switch from the car that week and consider leaving the car at home for some journeys in the future.
Stagecoach in South Wales, along with Greener Journeys, which is spearheading the campaign, and hundreds of other participants all over the country – including bus companies, passenger organisations and local authorities – will be promoting the many benefits of bus travel through competitions, bus road shows and on board entertainment.
During Catch the Bus Week 2016, Stagecoach in South Wales is carrying out a programme of promotional activities across the area to encourage people to give the bus a try. These will include:
• Twitter picture competition, passengers that tweet @stagecoachwales everyday with a picture travelling on our services for 1 week will get entered into a draw to win a month's free travel
• Seven places to visit on the bus a new location will be tweeted out every day (including a picture) giving customers an idea of where to travel
• CTBW tips will be tweeted out every day e.g. try catching the bus today, it could save you money today
• We will be attending the Cardiff Bus Surgery event on Wednesday July 6 to promote bus use and highlight that it is great value for money.
• Meet the bus’ days – our new info bus will go to the following locations and we will be handing out goodies as well as offering discounted travel on the day and promoting our great value services
- Market Square, Blackwood on July 4th
- Mill Street, Pontypridd on July 7th
Research carried out by Stagecoach earlier this year looked at the cost of around 35 key commuter routes in England, Scotland and Wales. It compared the weekly price of hopping on the bus with the cost of fuel and car parking for the same journeys.
The research found commuters can save an average of around £1,000 per year by catching the bus instead of travelling to work by car - despite falling fuel prices at the pumps. Bus travel costs are around 55% cheaper than the same commute by car, saving passengers an average of more than £90 a month, according to the study.
Stagecoach has three times been independently found to have the best value bus fares in Britain and a recent survey carried out by consumer group Transport Focus found that bus passengers rated Stagecoach as the best value major operator in the country.
Throughout the week, Stagecoach will highlight the economic, health, and environmental benefits of using the bus more often.
• Buses are a vital driver of economic growth in the UK. Every £1 invested in bus infrastructure generates up to £7 of economic benefit.
• Bus users generates £64 billion of benefits to the UK economy
• Congestion costs the UK economy at least £11 million each year
• Travelling by bus is good for your health. It is a third less stressful than commuting by car
• Taking the bus frees your hands and you head. Allowing you to catch up on life admin, read a book or play games on your mobile- all whilst you get to your destination
• Walking to the bus stop can, on average, help you to achieve half of the Government’s recommended 30 minutes of exercise per day
• If everyone switched just one car journey a month to the bus, there would be one billion fewer car journeys on our roads and a saving of 2 million tonnes of CO2
• In 2015, low carbon emission buses saved nearly 70,000 tonnes of CO2 compared with their standard diesel equivalents
• Buses are vital to improving air quality. The latest models deliver a 95% reduction in NOx emissions compared with 2009 bus models
Commenting on Catch the Bus Week, Nigel Winter Stagecoach in South Wales Managing Director said: “There are obvious environmental benefits of taking the bus instead of driving – but bus travel can also save people money and reduce the stress of driving and parking in busy towns and cities. Our aim is to encourage more people in South Wales to leave their cars at home and we hope people will enjoy Catch the bus week 2016.”
Claire Haigh, Chief Executive of Greener Journeys, commented: “Once again, we are delighted to see the entire bus sector coming together to promote the benefits of the bus. From dance troupes on buses, to radio shows broadcast live from the top deck, we are always bowled over by the sheer breadth and scale of the creativity on show during the week, and 2016 is proving to be no different. The bus provides a vital lifeline for the youngest and oldest in society, so it is fantastic to see its worth celebrated in such extravagant fashion.”
For media enquiries, please contact: Stagecoach Group Communications on 01738 442111 or email: [email protected]
For further information on Stagecoach in South Wales contact:
For further information on Catch the Bus Week 2015 contact:
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: +44 (0)20 3128 8555
Twitter: @GreenerJourneys and #CTBW
About Stagecoach Group
• Stagecoach Group is a leading international public transport group, with extensive operations in the UK, mainland Europe, the United States and Canada. The Group employs around 38,000 people, and operates bus, coach, train, and tram services
• Stagecoach is one of the UK’s biggest bus and coach operators with around 8,300 buses and coaches. Around 2.8 million passenger journeys are made on Stagecoach's buses every day on a network stretching from south-west England to the Highlands and Islands of Scotland. The Group’s business includes major city bus operations in London, Liverpool, Newcastle, Hull, Manchester, Oxford, Sheffield and Cambridge. Low-cost coach service, megabus.com, operates a network of inter-city services across the UK and continental Europe.
• Stagecoach is a major UK rail operator, running the South West Trains, Island Line and East Midlands Trains networks. It is also the majority shareholder (90%) in the new Virgin Trains East Coast franchise and has a 49% shareholding in Virgin Rail Group, which operates the West Coast rail franchise.
• Stagecoach also operates the Supertram light rail network in Sheffield.
In North America, Stagecoach operates around 2,400 buses and coaches in the United States and Canada. Megabus.com links around 130 key locations in North America. Stagecoach is also involved in operating commuter, transit, contracted, charter and sightseeing services.
About Greener Journeys
Greener Journeys is a campaign dedicated to encouraging people to make more sustainable travel choices. It aims to reduce CO2 emissions from transport by encouraging people to switch some of their car journeys to bus or coach instead. Switching from car to bus for just one journey a month would mean one billion fewer car journeys on our roads and would save 2 million tonnes of CO2 every year. It is a coalition of Britain’s leading bus companies and other supporters including Transport for London, Campaign for Better Transport, the RAC Foundation, Confederation for Passenger Transport (CPT), and the Passenger Transport Executive Group (pteg). Its primary funders are bus companies Arriva, FirstGroup, Go-Ahead, and Stagecoach.
For more information about Stagecoach UK Bus visit www.stagecoachbus.com
To find out more about what Stagecoach in South Wales is doing to promote ‘Catch the Bus Week’, please visit