STAGECOACH CUTS THE COST OF BUS TRAVEL FOR YOUNG PEOPLE
• Local dayrider tickets to be priced at £2 for passengers under 19
• Special 5-week offer to run from 23 January 2016 to 29th February 2016
• Activity supports ongoing the work of South to support young people in the community
Thousands of young people across Havant, Hayling Island and Waterlooville are to benefit from a new offer by Stagecoach South which will help cut the cost of travel.
From 23 January, the bus company will provide local dayrider tickets - which provide unlimited travel within the local area- for just £2 to passengers aged under 19.
The offer- which ends on 29 February – aims to further reduce the cost of travel for young people and their families at what can be a difficult time of year financially. Stagecoach South hopes it will also encourage as many young people as possible to use its bus network which delivers affordable, reliable and high quality services.
The under 19 dayrider builds on the existing offers Stagecoach South has in place for young people across the region.
In particular, young people who use bus services to travel to job interviews, appointments and part-time employment will benefit from the offer.
Stagecoach South Managing Director Michael Watson said: “This is great news for young bus users across the region. Buses are crucial in connecting young people and in particular helping them to access education and employment opportunities and to get to social events.
“We know family budgets can often be stretched following the Christmas holidays so we are pleased to be able to help people make their money go further by reducing the cost of travel.
“We are already providing very good value discounts for children, students and young people across the region. This makes taking the bus even better value for money and we hope lots of young people will take advantage of the offer.”
Stagecoach were accompanied by Local MP Alan Mak for the launch of the ticket in his constituency, he said: “I am delighted with Stagecoach South’s announcement of a new discount day pass for under 19s. Offering thousands of young people across Hayling and Havant unlimited bus travel for £2 daily, Stagecoach are helping our students and young professionals with a promise of affordable travel.”
Mak added “As MP for Havant, one of my top priorities is to support the younger members of our community as they progress through school and onto the jobs ladder. It is great to see local employers such as Stagecoach South committing to these principles with this new discount offer. I look forward to welcoming Stagecoach to my inaugural Jobs and Apprenticeships Fair on Friday 19th February at Warblington School.”
In addition to the under 19 dayrider, Stagecoach South also offer the following, excellent value tickets and offers for young people and commuters:
• Termrider for primary and secondary school age children (aged 5-16 inclusive)
• Unirider for students over 16 in Further and Higher Education establishments
• 10p travel for under 16s throughout all school holidays
• Megarider and megarider xtra for frequent bus users.
The tickets will be available to purchase on board the bus. Full details can be found here: www.stagecoachbus.com.
Stagecoach South has invested more than £25 million over the past 5 years in hundreds of new buses for local communities.
Stagecoach is also making a multi-million pound investment in new technology. The company recently launched a new, fully mobile, UK Bus website which lets customers check live running times for their services and buy travel from their smartphone.
Stagecoach also previously launched the country’s first long-term nationwide discount for jobseekers, giving those with a JobCentre Plus travel card a 50% discount on their bus travel to help them find employment. The offer has been taken up by over 350,000 job seekers since it was launched in 2012. The scheme is funded entirely on a commercial basis by Stagecoach without any public sector support.
• Stagecoach South has headquarters in Chichester and is one of 18 locally managed companies within the Stagecoach Group plc.
• Stagecoach South provides local bus services across Hampshire, Surrey and Sussex, with some routes extending into Berkshire and Wiltshire.
• Last year, around 35 million passengers travelled across Stagecoach South’s network, which is comprised of over 500 buses and 200 routes.
• Based in Chichester, with local depots in Aldershot, Andover, Basingstoke, Chichester, Portsmouth, Winchester, Worthing, Guildford.
• Stagecoach South is a major local employer, with nearly 1300 employees across the region.
• Our aim is to provide safe, reliable, punctual, clean and comfortable services with a good value for money range of tickets and fares.