Stagecoach, along with other bus operators across the West Midlands, have signed up to the Bus Alliance, the first of its kind in the country which will see £150 million invested by operators and partners between now and 2021.
The Alliance will enable operators to meet rigorous new standards on key issues such as vehicle emission levels, branding, maximum fares and frequency.
It has been devised by the West Midlands Integrated Transport Authority (ITA) and Transport for West Midlands, part of the West Midlands Combined Authority.
The Alliance will be run by a board that follow their own terms of reference, the board is comprised of councillors and representatives from bodies including local authorities, bus operators, including a representative from Stagecoach, the West Midlands Combined Authority, West Midlands Police, Transport Focus and is supported by the Department for Transport.
The Alliance objectives include:
• To increase bus patronage by 5%.
• Improvement in peak time journey speeds.
• Fare rises of no more the Retail Price Index +1% per annum.
• Customer satisfaction levels remaining at over 85%.
• Discounted young person's travel for everyone under 19 years old.
• Integrated ticketless travel in line with intelligent mobility policy.
• Increased investment in highways infrastructure to aid journey times and reliability.
• Improvement on board through improved seating, next stop announcements and Wi-Fi*.
For more information about the West Midlands Bus Alliance, please visit the Transport for West Midlands website:
Click here for January 2017 Bus Alliance Newsletter