Important update Close

It's no longer a legal requirement to wear a face covering on public transport in England, Scotland or Wales. We do encourage you to wear a face covering in crowded spaces, if you can

For the latest travelling safely information for England, Wales and Scotland, see our Coronavirus page

Under 22

Scotland Under 22s Free Bus Travel

All young people and children aged 5-21 years living in Scotland can apply for a free bus travel card to access the Young Persons’ (Under 22s) Free Bus Travel Scheme.

The scheme is an initiative from the Scottish Government and with support from Transport Scotland young people and children can travel for free on all buses across Scotland.

You must have a valid card to use the free travel, full details are available in the below link on how to get your card.

If you don't have a valid card you will have to pay your fare in the normal way. 


Apply for Under 22s Free Bus Travel in Scotland  


Frequently Asked Questions  

Who can get free bus travel? 

Every 5–21 year old living in Scotland can travel for free by bus access free bus travel if they have a valid National Entitlement Card (NEC) or Young Scot National Entitlement Card (Young Scot NEC). If you are 5–15 years old, your parent or guardian will apply for you. If you are 16–21 years old, you should apply for your own NEC or Young Scot NEC. Children under 5 years old do not need an NEC as they can already travel for free on buses. 

I live in Scotland for part of the year. Can I still get free bus travel?

If you live in Scotland for the majority of the year (at least 6 months), then you are eligible. This could be if you study and live in one council area but your family home is in another.

Where can I go under the free bus travel scheme?

You can travel anywhere in Scotland on local and long distance bus services, apart from a few exceptions such as premium-fare night buses, city sightseeing buses, some airport transfer services, and some closed school bus contracts.  Please check within your area which services are included. If you are travelling to England, you will be able to travel to Carlisle or Berwick-Upon-Tweed, but you cannot travel within these towns. 

For the full FAQs go to Transport for Scotland website